Gel-coat repair

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Gel-coat repair

Unread post by RobC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:20 am

Udpate:\n\nBeen shining up the exterior prior to putting the cover on it for the winter rains. Having excellent results with the Barkeeps Friend and white scotch brite pads.\n\nMy rig sat under a pine tree for probably 2 years with the resultant sap disaster. giant black dried globs that do not wash off. I have been hand scraping with a utility blade and while time consuming is working great. if I go slow I don't mar the gelcoat underneath.\n\nUpdate. Only parts of my rig were tip and roller painted. Most is gelcoat that is in remarkably good condition. I got a line on a decal guy here on the Kitsap Peninsula (west side of Puget Sound) and am getting ready to put some new stripes on the beast.\n\nWaiting for my lovely wife to actually make a decision on a color.\n\nRobC

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:59 pm

I thought about using decals on mine. I was gonna pant it OD and do Realtree decals.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by H2Lou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:36 pm

any one tried rubberized rock guard :shock: \nI bought some for doing the under body but i decided to do a patch over the fiberglass, with light sanding...I'm loving the look!\nit comes out like the wrinkle finish on Kennedy tool box's (looks cool)but it is able to be sanded and paintable when dry.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Rubberized rock guard?.... You have my curiosity. Where do you buy it?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by H2Lou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

not sure what your equivalent of "Canadian tire" is in the US.\nThis stuff is tough and flexible...you can barely scrap it off with you thumbnail once dry.\n... comes in pre mixed gallon pails for spray guns as well.\nWe built a new aluminum service box for our work truck and sprayed the whole bottom...unbelievable the bond.\nsince i want to do our Travco in gray and black, its worth me giving it a go.\nhere's a link\n\nhttp://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0477935P/no-rubberized-rockerguard-undercoating-questions-answers/questions.htm

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by H2Lou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:21 pm

this is just a fast test i did this morning about a 1' x 1' area ...10 seconds of sanding just to descale it a bit and two fast coats to see if it would bond. 8-) \n\n\nImage\nImage

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 pm

it's a nice effect... There is a "guy" doing u-tubes that acquired a Ford 350 that was done in Hurcelion? , a truck bed protector like Rhino hide bed liner.. Then it was painted semi-gloss black with a red stripe... Not a bad looking finish...The site is\nNomadic Fanatic... Auto stores have rubberized rocker panel spray including a clear coat type for nice color paint jobs...I personally have been ripping u-tubes out on a $50.00 roller paint job. 4 part series..A Rustoleum Paint job. A pro spray is too expensive for me so looking at all types of alternatives... Rolling and tipping etc....I guess any rocker rubber spray will work as long as you can put the desired color on top... Stone proof paint job eh?\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by H2Lou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm sure any of them will work, as for the finish, if this is sanded and clear coated i think it will be awesome.\nI love that it doesn't just peel off will little to zero prep work..at 40.00ca. a gallon i can try different paint schemes until i find one i really like. 8-) \njust wondered if anyone else had tried it before and if they thought there would be a down side.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 pm

well... with all of these paint job plans and I see summer in the not to distant future... There will be a number of Travcos no longer bearing a single contrasting color stripe... Now where did I put that min-foam 4 inch roller... waiting to see the new paint jobs...\nBBB....

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am

I am seriously wanting to repaint my coach. The only downside that I can see to this method is that it is pretty permanent... or is that an upside? :D I say get creative with a new paint scheme and post up some pics of the results!

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”