Hello from Georgia

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Hello from Georgia

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Hello everyone.\nMy wife and I just got home with our new 1976 Travco 270 2+2...\nYes we drove it home. We do not have a name for her yet but that is in the works. Its interior is partially disassembled as the previous 2 owners were working on some changes. We are looking at moving the dinette up front and putting a larger bed in the back. The bathroom was gutted when the previous owner bought it so there is work to be done there. Trying to find a shower may be interesting. The glasspacks that were put on two owners ago have to go. the headers can stay. The old 440 is running strong.\nAs soon as the kitchen in the house is finished the Travco interior gets its well deserved reworking.\n\n\nThanks\nPaul

Travco Model:

Re: Hello from Georgia

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Welcome!.. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.\nHad you specifically been looking for a Travco or did you just happen upon one? My wife and I looked for about 2 years.\nOur 270 has the rear booth option but we just put all the cushions in storage and placed a queen sized futon mattress back there.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

We were looking for an inexpensive RV we could make our own and happened upon two Travcos on Craigslist. We had gone to look at a 96 National Tropi-cal that turned out to be in a poor state. We also missed on a Fleetwood Flair Class A and a Winabago Class C on a Ford Chassis. This is when the two Travcos popped up. When I called the man about the one we bought he was very honest on what he had and that he has had it less than a year. It is in good running condition but the interior needs some work. We went to look this morning and bought it on the spot. I have to go through the front end as it wanders some. I also have to go through the dash electrical as it is a mess. I am a little dissapointed that one of the previous owners had pulled the dash AC equipment out. No compressor or condensor. I did not even look to see if the evaporator was gone. I am assuming it is. The old girl has excellent bones as there is no rot in the steel. I don't know what size the fuel tank is but I put 40 gallons in it and the gauge was reading 1/4 before filling up. It ran at 65 down the highway with little problem except for the ridiculous noise from the header glasspack exhaust system. Thanks for the info that a queen futon matress will fit in the rear. I was thinking I might have to pull a cabinet or two to get a queen back there.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Image\nImage\nImage\nImage\n\nHere are a couple pics

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 am

Nice looking rig... See you have the "coveted" screen door....Guessing a 76... You can always run the genset and fire up the air while driving... Besides the air compressor on the engine would lower your gas mileage and HP output... There are manuals for the Travco about this site... ...Welcome aboard....HTH\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by datsit » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am

Welcome aboard, looks like a good start to a fun relationship.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks Billy\nIt is a 76 and from the floor plans I have found it is a Mahal special VIP 2+2 rear dinette floor plan. I was not worried about the little bit of horsepower an ac compressor would rob from a 440. When we start using it for camping it will be pulling a 2012 kia sorento on a tow dolly.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:31 am

It is registered in Georgia for the first time in its life. Went to the tax office and they could not pull up the VIN. So I had to come back home and drive the old girl down so they could verify the VIN. It was nice to fire up the old 440 again today and the old loadflite is shifting flawlessly. The dash electrical and battery set up need to be redone properly. I need to redo the instrument cluster as it is currently a piece of steel cut out for the gauges and was done quite poorly. Anyone know where one might be found? With only 99400 miles on it there should be plenty of life in the old 440.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Had one of those models also... If you would have opened the "hood you will see that the "vin" is pop riveted to the "removable hood"... Not really.... but a smart remark coming from me was to just take the hood down to the revenu collector...LOL.. When I trashed mine as into tiny pieces I kept the complete "hood" and have a good title to match... If'n I knew where you park yours I could just drive down, switch out the vins and have another 76...(don't know if I am supposed to know these things...) BTW.. You mention a home made dash.... Do you have the switches etc. or is it all gone? I do have some parts left from my 76 including some (a few) dash parts. FWIW...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Billy, I am not sure if the switches are original. The cluster looks alot like the one I had in my old 90 Dodge B 250. I an probably going to have to rewire most of the dash so if I can find the right panel and parts it would be great. I just found out while measuring the bathroom for a shower that my black water tank is broken around the toilet pipe. I guess that is another repair to be added to the list. I also need to figure out why the generator engine isn't getting any spark. A long list getting longer...

Return to “New Members Introductions”