steering wheel shake

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: steering wheel shake

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

If you have tubeless tires trying throwing some equal in.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Love the whiteboard pics BBB ! :D

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by highwaystar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 pm

I checked the bearings and they were tight so no problems there. The play that I am experiences is a fairly small amount so not even sure that is the problem. \n\nI took it to another shop for a second opinions and both shops how told me that because of the type of rims I have I will not be able to eliminate all tire shake. \n\nI looked into that tire equal. May have to try that, seems like neat stuff.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I would go for a 3rd opinion... cannot believe this situation, "caused by the rims" has been tolerated since it came off the Travco showroom..This is my 4th Travco and have yet to experience this particular problem.... I just found out this am while checking on my unit's progress and the mechanic said my tires are from 1995!!!! I drove it over 100 miles from point of purchase and did touch 70 mph. I didnt like that speed and dropped back to 55-60 the rest of the way... NO wheel anything except my forward motion..These are remote guesses... the rotors were drilled off center.rim holes (the nuts are off set) were run loose and wheel is OOR... get a board and a nail and place against rim near bolt holes (spray the rim with white paint, let dry, and let the nail scratch a circle on the rim) you will see right away and also see for yourself where your tire mens heads are...if your tire is running true, it eliminates certain things allowing you to go forward ... check for true roundness, or get a dial indicator and chase this obscene run-out down.. or... as suggested before, swap out among the 7 rims... there has to be two good ones there.... put the others on the rear... No more at the moment from here...BTW... have had semi's with "piloted" wheels, over 70mph with 22.5 rubber and was a hands free ride... Hate to see you going down the road like that... Hope something here leads to a conclusion... Look for other inputs on this site...Having a brain blockage.. but i seem to recall something about 2 or 3 golf balls put inside a problem tire... Gonna' go see if I can find that article...BBB.\nYes golf balls will work.(really) So will Air-soft solid balls in the 6mm diameter... You can google for better NFO..

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by highwaystar » Mon May 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Got back from my trip, 400 miles.\n\nGot stuck in some slow moving traffic around Pittsburgh and noticed when moving slow the vehicle has a slight "rocking". \n\nBefore the trip I rotated the outer rear tires with fronts with no change in shake. However this rocking seems to indicate to me a rim issue. There are some sizable dents in the outer lips of the rims. Would suspect tires if last tires didn't do the same thing.\n\nAlso noticed on this trip that I get a firmer pedal if I double pump the brakes. That seems to indicate some type of vacuum problem with the boosters. Maybe tackle the brakes next winter. Seems drivable as it is. Some brief research indicates these boosters are more complicated than car boosters. The hot ticket would be to swap the entire axle/brake setup from something later model easier to find with more common bolt pattern. Plus I have 4 wheel drum so would gain some stopping power. \n\nWas hauling a 14 foot box trailer and overall happy with the power from the 413. Would pull some serious WV hills at 55 without downshifting. \n\nHave to try the car hauler next, after I put in a brake controller for the trailer brakes.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by highwaystar » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 pm

I can also say people get very excited about seeing this vehicle.\n\nHere is a picture with my Wife and Dad at the swap meet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 05, 2015 3:06 am

hmmm... sounds like you are dialing in on the shimmy or shake problem... If the rim swapping does not eliminate the shimmy and the indicated rocking motion...and as an afterthought it appears to be only the right side... Might the rotor be "off drilled" or damaged by someone maybe replacing a few broken studs or in that arena and ruining the trueness of the bolt pattern on the rotor?... \nagain suggesting a light coat of white spray paint and a nail or layout tool to scratch a circle or a dial to verify OOR problems on the rotor or position of the studs... glad to see you on the road.. a good indicator of your progress and determination....IMO\nBTW there IS an air filter someplace up front that filters \nair for the vacuum chambers/brakes.. I haven't heard yet...\nof anyone ever changing one.. Do you know where yours is ????\nThe size which limits filtering capabilities is about the size of a \ncoffee cup... Restricting braking action and not being replaced for 40 years !?\nWill post a pic ASAP...\nBBB\nFound it...currently about $14.00 \n 05/05/15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue May 05, 2015 6:04 am

A second pump on the brakes could indicate the old drums needing adjustment. Just a simple check.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by datsit » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 am

I've had my Travco for 13 yrs now, I had the same thing with my brakes since day one, one pump slows, 2nd stopped good. I was told that this was called a coaster brake first pump slows you second brakes hard, I had 3 wheel cylinders replaced, fluid change & bleed when I got it as we require a mechanical inspection when changing ownership, brakes where same no change. Over the years I had it serviced at two different truck shops (one was a bad experience/brake failure 1 block away from shop after fluid change) brake was the same one pump then 2nd. In 2014 I found a shop (recommended/fellow RV owner) with an older mechanic, had a complete brake check & he found ( nice to have him take you into shop & show you the problems, not like passed shops saying the did this & that when it clearly was not done !!!) that the brake adjusters where seized badly ( for some time) & had to be removed heated/cleaned & greased, no leaks good shoes & true drums. When I picked up BD from shop & pulled out of shop, I almost went out the windshield with first application of brake !?!? Went back into shop to say something was wrong !!! Lazy mechanics or customer's don't want to pay for a removal of drums & proper servicing, he said many mechanics/owners will use a gallon of brake fluid & labor to bleed system (in proper order) when many times it's improper adjustment of shoes.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 am

im supposed to be getting a brake job like you have. mech claiming I will need a seat belt when he is done.. 2nd brake job in house right now... still not satisified... after this might got to a pusher w/air brakes... getting long in the tooth, have driven this unit about 100 miles and towed the rest of the time.. one can only hope for a knowledgabele older mechanic.. did you check the vacuum filter yet as pointed out earlier? I give them cart blanche and still low skill work...The magic words from me are "fix it"...never have said yet try to control the cost...still **** jobs...IMO\nBBB

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”