Shuts down!

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Shuts down!

Unread post by gezundheit » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Just drove my travel about 150 miles and all was well until about 3miles from home she began shutting down while driving at 30 mph or applying the brakes at crawl speed or entering a turn or just idling in drive.she will restart immediately and\nWhen put in drive either move forward or back some distance or shut down.i watch the instrument panel when she shuts\nDown and it appears as if there is a complete loss of juice at the same time she shuts off.the instruments all zero out when this happens.the engine is a 440-3.where should I begin looking first?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Shuts down!

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:34 am

Is it shutting off like someone just turned off the key ? So you can be driving along fine but as soon as you try to stop it will stall ?\nIt starts back up with ease ? So if it stalls and you don't touch the key all your instruments go dead ?\nIt's normal for oil pressure to go down because the motor is not running , the amps gauges are useless in these and most fuel gauges don't work anyway but if your temp gauge falls off with the key still on that could be a sure sign of an electrical problem.\nCheck the plug at the base of the steering column for the wiring for the column. I have seen alot of Travco with that plug corroded or burned up.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:51 am

You sure its an electrical issue?\nMaybe try this... get it running and then run a jumper wire (with clip leads) from the battery to the switched terminal on the resistor ballast. In other words... make the coil hot all of the time using the jumper wire. If it quits dying then you know that there is a bad connection somewhere. If it still dies then it's not an electrical problem. Keep us posted of your findings and hopefully we can help you through this issue.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by gezundheit » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I found a birds nest of wiring behind the panel at the steering column.a nightmare of splices and any wire size and type you\nCan think of.took my time and gradually brought some order back to where things began to make sense.she starts now and remains working without the previous silliness she exhibited.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Good to hear. Check the plug from the steering column. They have a tendency to burn up.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Travco 220”