Jacking and Wheel Removal

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Jacking and Wheel Removal

Unread post by RobC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:51 pm

So me being so cheap as to not want to pay Les Schwab to send the service truck for $90/hour (All said and done probably 3 hours total on top of my tire costs)\n\nThe shop up the street (literally 500 yards away) said they would bust the lugs loose for me so I can then get the wheels off on my own for painting and new tires- \n\nI have one blown inner rear, one ready to blow inner rear on the other side but two good outers. My rig is still gutted so it is quite light.\n\nThink it's OK to drive the 500 yards at 5 miles per hour or less safely? Rural road no traffic but I don't want to damage my rims\n\nIf it wasn't a two step process to have the tire guys come and do the work I would pay the premium but I gotta get the rims off so I can trick em' out with new paint THEN put the new tires on.\n\nRob

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:52 pm

My bump feature seems to be off so using the reply method.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Also, the fronts and the two outers are brand new TOYOS. Hence the need for Les Schwab..... They have a lock on the TOYO tires and I want all the same on there.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:46 pm

On the first trip with Nessie we had two inner rear blow outs withing 25 miles of each other. The first one was about a mile and a half to the rest area. We ran slow on the right side of the road as the shoulder was not wide enough (steep Drop off) to safely do anything with the tires. The second was 20 some miles further down the road and half a mile from an exit. Eased to the exit and stayed at a hotel for the night and then drove the 1/2 mile to the tires shop that was luckily at this exit and had the tires. Short distance low speed is the key/

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Just got my unit back yesterday... Did not paint the rims... Just cleaned them off and put new stainless simulators on ... \nIt rides great and no sway with six new Goodyears. Kind of pricey as an OTD price was almost what I paid for the unit...\nSeems Goodyear doesnt like to use date of mfg, but puts the warranty into effect upon date of installation.\nTwo sets or pairs were refused by the shop doing my repairs and sent them back as a few were over three\nyears old and stil in the warehouse wrapping... Mine are all dated 2015... and came from three different\nwarehouses and took about a week for all to arrive at the same place. Once again check the dates on the\ntires you are buying...IMO & FWIW...\nBilsteins go on in spring\nBBB

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”