Roof seam leaks

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Roof seam leaks

Unread post by RobC » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 pm

my roof seam does not leak but it looks like there is an aluminum strip (2 inches wide) screwed to the two clam shell sides from the rear hatch to the rear window and from the front hatch to the windshield.\n\nI am assessing the gel-coat right now for refurbish or paint. (Gel coat is damn good shape in general with a few spots I will have to color match to patch and also do some cracking repair). thinking cleaning and polishing for now, new stripe and then the a full on paint job later. \n\nThe aluminum strip is kind of bent and the rivets are corroded.\n\nHow did the factory roof seam on the outside look?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:00 pm

RobC wrote:my roof seam does not leak but it looks like there is an aluminum strip (2 inches wide) screwed to the two clam shell sides from the rear hatch to the rear window and from the front hatch to the windshield.\n\nI am assessing the gel-coat right now for refurbish or paint. (Gel coat is damn good shape in general with a few spots I will have to color match to patch and also do some cracking repair). thinking cleaning and polishing for now, new stripe and then the a full on paint job later. \n\nThe aluminum strip is kind of bent and the rivets are corroded.\n\nHow did the factory roof seam on the outside look?
\nThat strip is more cosmetic than anything. The two halves are bonded and should not leak. Generally roof leaks are the A/c,vents,clearence lights,POD(if so equipped) and ladder.\n\nYeah, just polish it and paint the stripe over. I did tht on a few and they looked pretty damn good. You don't wanna know what a horror stripping gelcoat is. That is a last resort when it's cracking so bad it's flaking off.\nCracked gelcoat cannot be fixed. it must be stripped. Any kind of repair using fillers will not last long at all and probably look worse than if you didn't mess with it.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model: 270

Unread post by vtjoanne » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:14 am

Hi,\nI have an old roof vent (located right in the middle of the roof) on the roof of my 1970, 270 travco, Toby. I need to get on the roof without causing any damage. Any suggestions on if the roof seams will take my weight of 118 pounds?\nGot my Dicor and new roof vent in hand but waiting for advice...

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270

Unread post by NobleTruths » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:54 pm

I have walked on my roof, and I weigh a bit more than you. ;) I stepped from rib to rib. No guarantee that my method was correct, though.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:25 pm

I have walked all over my roof without issues and I weigh 235 lbs. :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

I set a heat pump on my roof so it was the 120 lbs of heat pump and my 260 on the roof at the same time. I do believe it is quite strong.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:04 pm

been on mine many times on many different Travcos. You should be fine.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by vtjoanne » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks all! I haven't been up there yet, but when I do I'll feel better knowing that my weight probably won't cause any leak or seam issues.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:31 am

had a few sticks n' staple units and just the weight of the air conditioner would make the roof sag and water collecting in the depression would leak into the interior... The travco holds two air-conditioners, and almost any one who wants to walk on the roof of a travco can do so without any.danger of falling thru due to a rotten roof.. And the travco doesnt even blink...\nBy the time water damage is spotted inside, its already too late IMO\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 pm

BBB,\n Too late for what?\n Mine has minor leaks around vents and maybe A/C, which I probably will have to get on the roof to address (I'm 220lbs). Are you saying that the wood interior ceiling substructure may not be able to handle me on the roof? I have a feeling that I may need to replace the A/C unit, and not too sure how I'm going to do that without going on the roof. Homemade crane perhaps...

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”