No fluid to top wheel cylinders on rear

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1973 270

No fluid to top wheel cylinders on rear

Unread post by Michiganwell » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Just got 270out after thirty year nap.\nCleaned slaves out and they function. I'm not getting the fluid to the top lines. Idea of cause.\nThank you. I'm not to up on forum customs but thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: No fluid to top wheel cylinders on rear

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 am

The top rear wheel Cylinders get their fluid through a line from the lowers. What would be a bleeder on the lower cylinder has a line going to the upper cylinder. The line could be plugged.

Unread post by Michiganwell » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:13 pm

On some newer ones ,yes\nBut this travco has two hydrovax and two sets of lines going to the cylinders one set for the top on set for the bottom.\nCall twin Plex brakes. Dual Survival connected wheel cylinders\nI am getting fluid to both hydravax ., thanks for taking your time

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 pm

A bit different from what I have. My rear Brakes are also twin-plex but I have a 76 with the hydroboost unit.

Unread post by Michiganwell » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 am

You still might be right about one of the lines being plugged\nI was hoping somebody has ran into this situation alread the lines are hard to trace there's many of them ,buckled to the frame\nI'm not sure if one hydrovac is for the front and the other for the rear

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:27 pm

One Hydravac is for front, one is for rear. when you say you are not getting fluid to the top w/c how are you determining this ?\nDid you loosen the line from the bottom to top or just open the top bleeder and nothing came out ?\nIf you just opened the top bleeder and nothing came out try cracking the line. If fluid comes out of the line, the bleeder is plugged or the wheel cyl is corroded.\nIf you are getting fluid to the bottom wheel cyl but nothing is coming out of the line going to top, the bottom wheel cyl could be plugged. If this thing has sat for 30 years I would say the wheel cyls are all junk. Probably the master and hydravacs too.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by Michiganwell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 am

After traceing lines , it's plumbed with one half of the master cylinder going to one hydrovac the other half of the master cylinder going to the other hydravax\nThe output of both hydravax go to the metering block where there two sets of lines come from the metering block to the rear wheels\n there is no communication between the top and bottom wheel cylinder. This is done through the metering block which is believed to have a plug in it I have cracked the lines and flush them\nI haven't had a lot of time to work on it but it could be one of the rubber hoses there's two on top of the rear end\nI know if need be I can hook the wheel cylinders together and will operate properly but I want to understand it thank you much

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:26 am

I have never seen one with two hoses on the rear end. I would start the back and follow it opening each connection until I found fluid. To answer your question, yes it could be the hose.

Unread post by Michiganwell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks..I noticed that after cleaning and replacing slaves that old fluid came out of one of the boosters so it's not flowed for a while.\nI gotta get in and prod out that metering block.\nOnly a guess butt I believe that metering block sences high pressure on front system and opens valve to increase rear pressure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:55 am

If there is a leak the spool in the metering valve will shift. If it gets stuck it can restrict flow to one side or the other.

Return to “Brakes”