Front Calipers Seizing Up!

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1975

Front Calipers Seizing Up!

Unread post by Roattorevolution » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I have a 1975 270 and have had nothing but problems with my front end. I have replaced the calipers now twice, and they are still seizing up. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what is the solution?\n\nI have never heard of brand new calipers, with less then 2000 miles on them seizing. They were bled properly and were adjusted properly also.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Front Calipers Seizing Up!

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 am

Two sets of brakes? Highly unusual... Have you run a dial indicator across the surface of the rotors or checked for runout? \nThere really is no adjustment on calipers/disc brakes that I am aware of outside of correct bleeding. The pads are free floating and as they wear more brake fluid takes up the slack and the pedal goes down slightly. That is the only adjustment I am aware of... As the "puck" just free floats, my thinking is the "puck" is being pushed back at a angle and as the rotor turns, any warpage would/could cock the "puck" as it is "forced" back into the bore when brakes are applied...again due to the warpage.preventing the pads from retracting/releasing properly..JMO/FWIW\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:05 am

Did you change your brake hoses to the calipers? An deteriorated hose can act like a check valve and not allow the calipers to release. quick check for this would be to crack a bleeder when the caliper appears to be stuck and if it frees up, It is most likely the hose.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by diskman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am

On my 1975 270 the fronts were not releasing also.\n\nIt ended up being the brake petal pivot points needed to be cleaned and greased! Seems the brake pedal needs to return ALL the way to the top to allow the pressure to return back to the master cylinder. \n\nAfter degreasing the whole assembly underneath, applying PB Blaster and re-greasing via the zerk fittings, my 270 drives great now. No more hanging brakes.\n\nIf the fronts are binding, grab a 3/8 wrnech and open a bleeder on the caliper. See if it's under pressure. Repeat with the other side. See if that makes it drivable again until you hit the pedal. That's how I diagnosed mine.\n\nAlso replacing the rubber lines SHOULD be done every few years.

Return to “Brakes”