Howdy

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model:

Howdy

Unread post by jachord » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Well I have already posted a few times but never officially introduced myself. We live in Paris TX. We just discovered travcos a few months ago. We were looking for an old RV with character. We like the 40s bus conversions but they are pretty pricey and even harder to maintain. \n\nWe found a 73 270 on this site needing rescuing. Met a nice couple in Louisiana that wanted to get rid of a travco that their father had used to go gold mining. Now we have a free travco project. It is rough but completely fixable. I was a mechanic in an earlier life I will be doing all of the repairs my self. I managed to get it running already and the biggest motor related issue I have found so far is a cracked radiator tank. Of course the brakes and tires are shot. I'll be converting the brakes to hydro-boost. I will try to do a write up on it as I do.\n\nOur goal is to have it usable by the end of March. We would like to take it to the Fredricksburg VW show (we are into VWs as well) and then the vintage RV campout in OK this spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Howdy

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 pm

welcome to the forum. just a little info on the hydroboost conversion. Dodge switched to the hydroboost in 76 and my Mahal has it. A 76 parts breakdown if you can find one might be a great starting point for that conversion. I believe the master cylinder and booster are still available.

Travco Model:

Unread post by jachord » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 am

According to Daves sight it takes a 52-9393 hydroboost. Napa has it for 161.99 and Orielly's and Autozone both have them for 153.99. With a lifetime warranty. They also sell the rebuilt hydrovacs for the same price but it is just for one and is an inferior system.\n\nI don't expect it to stop on a dime but stopping on a football field would be nice. I am also considering rear abs. That's a little more difficult though. Well the only real difficulty is the sensor arraignment. Everything else is just fiddly bits.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:30 pm

The big difference is in the front brakes, Not so much the booster system. If you have front drum brakes, the hydroboost isn't gonna make is stop any better.\nIt is a much simpler and better system though. I have owned both Front drum and front disk and it's night and day with brake fade.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by jachord » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 am

I don't really expect the upgrade to hydro boost to improve the braking that much if any at all. I already have a hydroboost off of a 2001 dodge. Being that new I can get a replacement from most parts stores. The hydrovacs would be at least 3-4 days if they could get them at all. Not to mention that a failure in the hydroboost wouldn't actually be in the brake circuit like the hydrovacs are. Then there is the reduction in weight, brake line runs, vacuum line runs, and the reduction in all those points of failure. While it wouldn't make drum brakes anymore effective the simplified circuit would make them safer. Of course that assumes that a dual circuit system is in use. A dual circuit upgrade is so simple its insane not to do it. \n\nFortunately mine is a late 73 RM400 so it may not have the classic styling that I like it does have dual circuits and disc brakes. I plan on starting the conversion this weekend and will get a write up started. I will try to include pictures and part numbers to make it as simple as possible.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm

ironically one of the hydrovacs I replaced a couple years ago seems to have let go...So..yeah please post part numbers, pics etc. I think I'm gonna follow your lead. I'm really sick of the hydrovacs and a future Cummins swap will be more friendly with hydroboost already in place.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “New Members Introductions”