So, we were offline for a week or so... Here's the details.

Please check here for forum news and updates, as well as problems inlcuding sign up or login..etc etc
Author
Technician
Technician
Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

So, we were offline for a week or so... Here's the details.

Unread post by PrivatePilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Hey everyone, welcome back. As I'm sure a few of you noticed, we were knocked offline about a week ago.

It's a very long story what happened, but suffice to say that someone with a lot of spare time on their hands tried to make a few dollars at our expense by vandalizing the forum and repeatedly kicking us offline while demanding a ransom to "fix" it for us.

They got nothing. I keep exceptionally good backups and despite their efforts to deface and destroy the forum, here we are again, with everything intact. The only thing that changed, as I'm guessing you've all noticed by now, is the "template" (the look and feel of the board) that the site uses. The actual functionality remains the same for the most part, but we have a fresh new look - our old template was outdated and no longer an option for the new updated forum software.

Speaking of software, some updates were part of our solution...but again, long story short, this presented a lot of issues that had to be tackled, all while being careful to not accidentally lose any content here. Travcoforum actually turned 6 years old during this outage (ironic, but Happy Birthday Travcoforum!) and there's a lot of useful data and resources here, so needless to say, we didn't want to loose anything whatsoever! We lost perhaps only a few posts at worst. Yay for backups!

Moving forward, I would ask that all members change their password, and most importantly, use a unique password here that you don't use anywhere else. This is just wise internet safety - NEVER REUSE PASSWORDS! I can't rule out that it wasn't a compromised account that caused all these issues to begin with, so practice safe internetting...change your password now. ;)

If you notice anything weird our not working right, let me know in this thread please - simply reply here. There were some pretty massive changes behind the scenes as part of this recovery so although I think I've got everything working right, some bugs are possible.

And a round of applause as well for the rest of the staff as well as Ken (the guy who owns Travcoforum!) for hanging in through all of this and offering their support and helping out behind the scenes - we exchanged a lot of emails over the last week.

Cheers everyone
Mark the tech guy.
- Travcoforum Website Administrator\n- Helping a friend - check out Duckies Longarm Quilting in the Oshawa / Durham Region area! www.duckiesquilting.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: So, we were offline for a week or so... Here's the details.

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 am

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark for all his hard work on this. This forum is free to use and to date I have not brought vendors or advertisers here to supplement the costs of running this place. Mark does all thentech work for free. The mods here volunteer and I pay the few expenses there are out of my pocket. I wanna thank everyone for thier patience amd if you get an unsolicited email blast we apologize. I'll do my best to keep up on things. I have personally had a very difficult year both emotionally and financially. I will try to defote more time here and would like to personally thank the staff for all the help. I had the idea to start this 6 years ago(wow) and asked Mark for advice. My tech skills are limited. I can run thenforum and setup the threads , forum titkes etc but the real tech work is well beyond my capabilities. Mark asked how many users did I think this forum would attract. I laughed and said I hoped for 50-100'with maybe 3-4 regulars...We now have 4 staff members and 800 registered users...Wow. This forum will remain bynthe fans formthe fans and not a commercial enterprise so please, take a minute to thank the other mods and Mark and be patient while we work the last bugs out.
Kenny
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am

Glad to see the forum back up! Thanks guys!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am

Hi... Glad to see this site up and running once more... A lot of accumilated (sp) NFO would have once again been
lost covering the Travco Motor Home...Proof that once again really good record keeping has saved the day...
BBB 01/24/19

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1973 m375/270

Unread post by gojoe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Im grateful for all the time and effort you guys put into this. The new carbon color is awesome. It has been a super resource for this Travco refresh. I don't know in what capacity but I'd be glad to help if needed in the future.

Return to “Forum News & Information”